Navigation Tabs

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Suno Bridges Fair Trade and Fierce Patterns

It's my birthday in a few weeks, which means I am on the prowl for a new party dress. I've also picked up an addiction to unconventional prints, so it's no wonder this Suno dress completely caught my eye. After doing some research, I found out that Rachel Bilson recently wore it to Fashion’s Night Out in New York City, reaffirming the fact that we are kindred spirits. However, one aspect left me puzzled, what/who is Suno? I had never heard of the company, so I called my good friend, Google, and here's what I found:

Suno is a NYC-based brand and was formed in 2008 by Max Osterweis. The company is unique because they use fabrics collected from Kenya, giving their frocks an authentic East African look. And there's more to the story than just a treasure hunt for unique textiles. According to their website, Suno "employs local Kenyan talent, treats workers fairly, and showcases some of Kenya’s artistry." The company hopes their presence in Africa will have a positive effect, especially in regards to social and economic change.

They are certainly receiving a ton of attention from the fashion industry for their efforts. This month alone, Suno has been featured in Harper's Bazaar, Nylon, and on both style.com and Women's Wear Daily (WWD). I think Suno is worthy of all the buzz, especially considering its good-natured company philosophy. Here are some of Suno's looks from their spring 2011 RTW collection...



photos from http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/S2011RTW-SUNO

0 comments:

Post a Comment