Navigation Tabs

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Inspiring Architecture: Selgas Cano Architecture Office by Iwan Baan


I am a huge fan of interesting architecture and well, if I could stand math I would totally enter the field of architecture. Anyways, from time-to-time I come across a structure that is just so amazing that I end up saving it in a file on my laptop! I'm a super dork...you will learn this if you don't already know. I decided that it's probably time I start sharing some of what I have collected because hey- fashion is definitely inspired by the world around us. Additionally, architectural pieces have become dominant throughout many designers' collections, such as FIDM alum/Project Runway winner, Leanne Marshall's winning collection1.


For my first architecture-based post I wanted to feature the Selgas Cano Architecture Office by Iwan Baan2 near Madrid, Spain. From one perspective, I definitely think you could say this office looks like a test tube sitting in the middle of the forest. However, I think the whole manmade object in the middle of nature isn't totally awful here. It kind of reminds me of the poem Anecdote of the Jar by Wallace Stevens, but in a way that is not completely negative. The structure has minimum impact on the environment as far as the absence of say, a huge asphalt parking lot. The windows seem to embrace the natural landscape, and I for one would love to work in an office that was so embedded in the natural surroundings.

Anecdote of the Jar
Wallace Stevens

I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion every where.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee.

Here are some photos of the office:



Architecture Critique: Your Thoughts?!
What do you think? Could you picture yourself working in this office? What do you think about fashion inspired by architecture? Let me know with a comment!
1 http://www.gotoglamourgirl.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/leanne-marshall-project-runway-final-collection.jpg
2 http://www.archdaily.com/21049/selgas-cano-architecture-office-by-iwan-baan/

0 comments:

Post a Comment