Navigation Tabs

Thursday, December 16, 2010

You should have put a (Melody Ehsani) ring on it

I've recently discovered the amazing creations of Melody Ehsani, and I couldn't feel more like a kid in a candy store when perusing her visually enthralling lookbook. I am particularly partial to the chunky rings that resemble brass knuckles in princess form. I love how she introduces her 2010 lookbook by saying "The following designs have escaped my head." Her focus on the artistic side of her designs is completely in-your-face in a way that I like. Her voice is strong and pays tribute to art deco and worldly inspirations.

I like how personal her jewelry is to her. Here's the "about me" from her website and a few of the photos from her lookbook that I really like. Enjoy!

Born and raised in Los Angeles in a traditional Persian family, like many of my cousins and friends I applied to go off to Law School after college, but I couldnt stay there. I decided to break with my culture and follow my heart into a field I was internally drawn to....design. The more I designed shoes and products, the more it felt like the right thing for me to be doing. So now I believe that design is part of what I was designed to do. I guess you could say that design is part of my divine blueprint. I believe that honoring my blueprint helps me bring to the world new patterns of behavior and equality for myself and for all women in the future. In my culture, a womans value and status are determined by her marriage. This is a difficult and challenging concept for many women in todays world. By following my calling and making shoes and products, I am helping women resolve these kinds of paradoxes. I want to become my true self and be a vibrant member of a family and a community. I want the women who wear my shoes to have the same opportunity for equality, wholeness, and self expression. My style is inspired by paradox, controversy, justice and pushing the envelope in showing that you truly cant judge a book by its cover. I design to upset the equilibrium. I design to inspire. I design to serve. I design because I was created to do so. A portion from each pair of Ehsani shoes purchased will go towards the advancement and education of women in our society.



0 comments:

Post a Comment